Yesterday, the fires had consumed 75,000 acres, today it’s 170,000, when last I heard. I just got a phone call from Drue Mordecai, Sales Manager at the Lodge, and he doesn’t expect we will be back in for 4 – 6 weeks. The winds will be picking up again tomorrow night and I am nervous about being only 20 miles from a major fire.
I wrote that we have no good options going North, but the way South is open. I am going to take it, sooner, rather than later. Scott is looking for a hotel for us as I write this. It will be for 4-6 weeks, and it will be by the ocean, where there is a hope of being able to breathe, at least when the wind is blowing onshore. That’s the best thing about where we are and I will be sorry to leave.
We had an amazing dinner tonight. It was free for evacuees. I saw a flyer for it at our local Harvest Market, when I went there for oregano oil. It was an old time church upper thing, with 4 kinds of pasta, chili, corn and regular bread, salads and desserts. They loaded up three containers for us and we ended up eating about half of them, No matter. I’ll take the leftovers with me.
Before I go, I am sorry to report two more houses lost, Arlene & Jerry Phelan’s, Dan Solomon & Lynn Cangemi’s.
Anne Seymour offers: I am wondering about your friends who say that they cannot see their homes. Tell them to use Google Earth. You can put in any address and see a live photo of the home (or remains).
I’ll start driving in the wee hours tonight and end up in the Holiday Inn Salinas. It’s a bit dodgy but best I could do on short notice in a tough market. We’ll move in to Scalbergs on Monday, having sorted out Elvon’s needs. Then, when they come back, we have the HI Express Marina State Beach booked until the end of November. By then we should be able to move back to the Lodge. I wanted all this stuff booked before all the other homeless people get the same idea.
Now for a few hours of sleep or meditation, before we hit the road to beat the traffic.
You are so brave and I wish you well. Be careful driving and keep in touch!!
nancy nelson said:
Marge Mapp said:
Oh my goodness, Helen. Thank Heaven for your resourcefulness. Good luck, godspeed, may the trip be short and uneventful.
Our hearts are with you.
Marge and Chris
Jo-Ann Merry said:
Thinking of you and Elvon today and sending my prayers. Be safe, have a safe drive south and out of harm’s way.
Waiting to hear from you when you have a chance after you are settled in.
Jo-Ann and family xoxoxoxo
Safe travels is so much more meaningful now than when we are cruising. We are watching out for you in our thoughts everyday. We hope you find a safe harbour to stay in until you can return home. Ken & Noreen
From Vancouver with love,
H.K. & Min-min Chang
Judy Symansky said:
Oh dear, I was hoping you could stay put. However it sounds like a good plan and it’s excellent that you are ahead of the game. But then, you usually are!
Both the dinner and the Scalbergs sound wonderful.
Hope the drive goes well.
God Speed ,Helen. I admire your bravery and resilience. My prayers are with you both,and with your friends and neighbours.
Bev Rowat said:
I’m sorry you guys had to leave again but I hope you have found a good safe spot and can stay put until you get back home. The news out there sounds bad and you really have our thoughts with you.
Bev and Linda
Sent from my iPhone
Dorothy and Hans Wollitzer said:
We are so impressed with how you are handling this terribly difficult situation. Hopefully all goes well for you and Elvon from now on and that you get some needed rest and relaxation when you reach your next destination. We can only hope and pray that these terrible fires come to an end and leave something in tact. Such a beautiful area. Such a loss for you and your friends in particular but also for the world. You are in our thoughts. Big hugs to both of you. Love Dorothy and Hans